Keeping conditions and information :
- Day temperature : from 23 to 27°C. The ideal is to propose them a hotspot at 27°C and a cooler part in the habitat.
- Night temperature : from 20 to 24°C
- Hibernation : 45 days at 10-18°C is recommended. A higher temperature is also possible during that period.
- Humidity : Can adapt to all our Ant Farm models. A dry part is necessary for the seeds and a humid part of the ants.
- Drinking-Trough : Recommended
- Light : Pretty tolerant, doesn't fear light but musn't be exposed to sun.
- Possible growth rate : From 30 to 1000 workers in a year in the best conditions.
- Workers size : From 3 to 14mm
- Queen size : about 13mm
- Dangerousness : None, no venom, isn't aggressive or invasive but shouldn't be released in the nature!
- Type of nest : All the Ant Farms available in our shop (Antworks excluded).
Thanks to our Messor barbarus ant colonies, having an ant keeping has never been easier. This fascinating species only requires a few minutes of care per week but will offer you hours of wonder everytime your eyes are catched by a new behavior.
200 species live in France but we've chosen Messor for you. It is the easiest to keep but everyone who has kept ants for a long time like this species very much.
All our ant farms offer the natural needs of the ants.
How to feed my ants ?
You just need to give your ants a spoonful of seeds everytime their food reserve discreases. This reserve can last for more than 1 month and a bag of food is enough for several months.
You can give different solid foods to you ants and observe their reaction. Messor ants like dead insects very much, you can feeze flies, crickets and different insects before offering them to your ants.
What if my colony has outgrown the ant farm ?
You can choose between leaving the colony in the ant farm, and let the population stabilize, or you can connect the artificial nest to a second,with a pipe and connection holes. Either the same model or another one will work Just fine. It is possible to connect several ant farms together before your ant colony has outgrown the nest to observe it using more space.
How to heat my colony ?
Many houses and apartments are already at the correct temperature (about 23/24 degrees minimum). Otherwise, it is possible and easy to move a desk lamp closer the nest to reach about 27 degrees. The light may interfere with some ants, but the lamp can be adjusted slightly so the rays are less direct. Ceramic lamps are ideal and do not produce light.
For 1.5 months during winter, you ants will need a perdiod of rest at lower temperatures (12/17°C). Don't forget to keep feeding and filling the water reserve during this period.